Re: AMBER: Simulation died due to lack of disk space

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:25:21 -0400

>From playing with this sort of thing recently, I vaguely recollect that the step number is appended after a "dot". The last rst is also I believe written both with and without the suffix. This is off the top of my head, so may be off a little, but it is basically pretty easy to work with, aside from the fact that if you get carried away, you will have found another way to fill up a disk, aside from writing out mdcrd too frequently ;-)
Regards - Bob Duke
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ross Walker
  To: amber.scripps.edu
  Cc: samantha.kaye.pharmacy.ac.uk
  Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 12:25 PM
  Subject: RE: AMBER: Simulation died due to lack of disk space

  Hi Samantha,

  You can just put a minus sign in front of the number of steps specified in ntwr. (See page 91 of the amber 9 manual)

  I.e. ntwr=-10000

  This will get you a unique copy every time. I'm not sure what the naming convention is though and of course it makes automatic scripting difficult since you will have to work out what the rst file will be named. I would still suggest you consider my previous advice:

  "
  For future simulations I would advise splitting things up into chunks. What I normally do is run in 1 to 5ns or so blocks, depending on machine and system size. So something like this:

  Note, mdin is set to restart so irest=1, ntx=5 (restarting from the original heating run)

  pmemd -O -i mdin.1ns -o 0-1ns.out -p prmtop -c heating.rst -r 1ns.rst -x 0-1ns.mdcrd
  gzip -9 0-1ns.mdcrd
  pmemd -O -i mdin.1ns -o 1-2ns.out -p prmtop -c 1ns.rst -r 2ns.rst -x 1-2ns.mdcrd
  gzip -9 1-2ns.mdcrd
  pmemd -O -i mdin.1ns -o 2-3ns.out -p prmtop -c 2ns.rst -r 3ns.rst -x 2-3ns.mdcrd

  etc.

  You can also put this in a shell script loop if you want - see the last section tutorial 1 on the amber website for an example.
  "

  Since this also minimizes the risk of corrupted trajectory files and also makes file archiving easier.

  All the best
  Ross
  /\
  \/
  |\oss Walker

  | HPC Consultant and Staff Scientist |
  | San Diego Supercomputer Center |
  | http://www.rosswalker.co.uk | PGP Key available on request |

  Note: Electronic Mail is not secure, has no guarantee of delivery, may not be read every day, and should not be used for urgent or sensitive issues.