Re: AMBER: AMBER 9 - Force Field Options - Question

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:56:23 -0400

Yong,
Sorry if you were confused.

I thought I had made myself clear.
The original question was :

"I would like to know is it fine to
combine the glycamxx with the ff03 (Duan) forcefiled in a system?"

You answered "Simple answer to your first Q is yes. We actually do that
too."

So, I simply wanted to know if you had data showing that this is ok.

Again, I am not saying it would not be, and I am not saying other force
fields would do better or worse, I am simply saying that it makes me
uncomfortable to mix and match charge models. Given your answer, I was
looking forward to data that showed it was ok. If so, it would be MUCH
better for everyone.

Now: do you feel comfortable using the mixed charge models based on
their solvation energies being 'similar' ?

Moreover, if they are similar, why change ?

I am REALLY trying to be constructive in the discussion, please do not
take it any other way. There are many things to learn from discussions
like this.

Adrian

Yong Duan wrote:
> Hi, Carlos,
>
> I thought Adrian was questioning the validity of parm94 because his main
> concern was the difference in dielectric environment in which the charges
> were derived and parm94 was derived in "gas-phase" :).
>
> You are right, to validate this, a set of highly accurate absolute binding
> free energies would be desirable. If this is what you meant, the answer is
> no, we have not done it. However, we have calculated the solvation free
> energies of the two charge sets and found they are indeed quite similar.
>
> yong

                            Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
                              Associate Professor
               Quantum Theory Project and Department of Chemistry
University of Florida                         PHONE 352 392-6972
P.O. Box 118435                               FAX   352 392-8722
Gainesville, FL 32611-8435                    Email adrian.qtp.ufl.edu
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong,
to the American public."
   --  Theodore Roosevelt