AMBER: Problems with 'make'

From: Hopkins, Robert <hopkins.uhcl.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:07:42 -0500

Amber Users:

I'm new to Amber and relatively new to UNIX/Linux. Nonetheless, I'm
trying to install Amber9 on a laptop running Windows XP. I've
successfully installed the Cygwin environment as well as g95. After
unpacking the Amber files, setting the environment variables & path,
applying all of the Bug fixes and running the configuration script, all
successfully, I hit a brick wall trying to 'make serial'. Although a
'make' utility was supplied with the old g77, there was none with g95,
so I installed the 'make' utility for Cygwin. However, this version
neither recognizes 'make serial' nor 'make clean' - a similar error is
reported in each case:

make: *** No rule to make target 'serial'. Stop.

Although I've searched the mail archives at both the Scripps and UK
Amber sites, I haven't found an answer to this problem. It may be that
I'm overlooking something, but it appears that many others have had some
type of problem with the 'make' command. I would greatly appreciate
any help or suggestions in regard to this impasse.

Thanks,

Bob Hopkins