Re: AMBER: problem compiling amber9 on IBM 64 bit machine with xlf90_suse compiler

From: Martin Klefas-Stennett <martin.stennett.postgrad.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:16:49 +0100

Hi,
 I've replied inline below.
Martin.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hayden Eastwood" <s0237717.sms.ed.ac.uk>
To: <amber.scripps.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:25 PM
Subject: RE: AMBER: problem compiling amber9 on IBM 64 bit machine with
xlf90_suse compiler

> Dear Martin
>
> Thankyou for getting back to me.
>
> Please forgive my ignorance but I'm not sure I follow what you're saying,
> perhaps you could elaborate a bit?
>
>> perhaps if you put in an explicit path to the libraries included in the
> amber distribution, and then compiled them yourself using the same
>> compiler as you intend to use for the rest of the installation.
>
> Are you refering to the files in the blas folder? I don't understand what
> the blas files are, I presume they are just libraries required for
> performing various operations. However, how do I go about compiling them?
BLAS are Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines and they do all the maths for
amber in the fastest cleverest way possible. To compile them you can just
type xlf90 -c *.f

> Would I need to modify the config.h file or what? Why do I need to specify
> path to search for the blas library if these files are already known to be
> located in amber9/blas ? Are there a mixture of blas files that come with
> AMBER and blas files that are expected to be found on the local machine?

There are often optimized BLAS supplied with machines, as what works fastest
is different on every machine. The compiler should look around and find
them, but sometimes will struggle. In this instance you can just tell it
where they are by putting the absolute path to the blas directory (ie
$AMBERHOME/src/blas).

>> A second option which would probably work as a bit of a sneaky workaround
> would be to copy the relevant source code into the sander directory and >
> let the compiler link it in all on it's own.
>
> Again please excuse my ignorance, what exactly would the "relevant source
> code" be?

Basically if it says could not find dseyv then copy dseyv.f into src/sander.
repeat until all of the error messages vanish, then hey presto. The only
problem with this approach is that it is cheating and isn't really
addressing the problem, it's just sweeping it under the carpet.

To be honest there should be some BLAS which are optimized for your machine
which would probably speed up amber a whole lot if you were able to find
them.