Re: AMBER: ntt parameter in vacuum

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 08:51:53 -0700

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007, Age.Skjevik.student.uib.no wrote:

> ....learning recently that the Langevin
> thermostat is not suitable for MD Production when using expicit solvent.

I think you are reading more into these emails than is warranted. The
Langevin thermostat is probably the best one available in Amber if you wish to
sample a canonical distribution, such as in estimating thermodynamic
quantitites.

For time-dependent properties, this and all other thermostats have some
artifacts, although these are probably fairly mild for default values of
parameters like gamma_ln. This is quite different from saying that the
Langevin procedure is "not suitable": there are trade-offs to be considered in
almost all aspects of condensed phase simulations.

...regards...dac