RE: AMBER: Re: Strange shape in my MD simulations

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:27:37 -0700

Hi Pawan,

Yes the vacuum bubble should eventually equilibrate out if you just keep
running NPT, but it can take a long time. Potentially nanoseconds. You also
have to realize that you have introduced a huge perturbation to your system
by allowing these bubbles to form in the first place. They are completely
artificial (no experimental equivalent) and are a function of forcing the
system to run as a liquid at a density which does not lie in the liquid
phase for that system. Hence while you can potentially just equilibrate out
the bubbles I would not advise it since you don't know what 'damage' these
bubbles have done in the first place. Instead I would ditch that simulation
and go back to the drawing board and run the NVT fraction for a much shorter
time before switching to NPT.

All the best
Ross

/\