Re: AMBER: box size bomb in QMMM calculation

From: M. L. Dodson <mldodson.houston.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:23:50 -0500

Ross Walker wrote:
> Hi Bud,
>
> It is possible that what you are seeing could one of two things
>
> 1) As you say you may have chosen incorrect waters. Try setting nstlim=1 and
> add writepdb=1 to the qmmm namelist. Then run the QMMM calculation again and
> you should get a pdb file (called qmmm_region.pdb) which represents the QM
> region as seen by the QM part of the code. If you visualize this you should
> be able to measure the distance of the waters from the QM region and see if
> they are the closest. Note because of point 2 below you may need to set the
> cut off unreasonably small for this, say 0.1 A just to force it to get to
> the pdb writing stage.

That was my plan, but it never gets far enough to do that. It bombs
before the QM region pdb write occurs.

> 2) More likely you are seeing a problem related to the way the cut off is
> treated with QM/MM. Unlike MM-MM pairs which are a pair wise based cut off
> QM/MM effectively uses a group based cutoff where the QM region represents 1
> group. Hence any atom that is within cut of any QM atom gets included for
> ALL QM atoms. This is done for convergence reasons, the QM calcs are much
> more stable when all QM atoms see the same net total charge. Hence the cut
> off for the QM region looks like this cut sized bubble around the QM region.
> What this means is that for periodic boundaries you need a bigger buffer
> space between the QM region and the box edges. For regular MM the minimimum
> image convention means the smallest box dimension must be at least twice the
> size of the cut off. However for the QM region this translates to the
> smallest box dimension must be larger than twice the QM cut off + the
> largest dimension of the QM region. This is what is being violated and why
> you see the error message. However, your box looks to be pretty big so
> either your QM region is highly extended or as you say you may have picked
> the wrong water molecules. Try idea 1 above to see.
>
> In terms of the functioning of the closest waters command I'd have to look
> more closely but I would start by ruling out that your box isn't just too
> small first of all.
>
> All the best
> Ross

Well, the active site should be near the center of the box (in the
familiar view). I've selected waters with the oxygen closer than 5A to
an atom close to the center of the active site. With a rectangular box
~70A on a side and given the DNA and protein residues in the active site
are close, I don't see how the box could be too small (unless something
is going on I don't understand). I think my water selection algorithm
must be bogus.

I'll try to simplify it (my water selection algorithm). There are some
relics from my first set of attempts in there. For example, I don't
think I need to image the system and write it to a new restart file. I
should just let it image when calculating the closest waters (which is
the default).

Unfortunately, I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go to the US Grand Prix.
  I'll be back in a week. Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to comment
further, please do so, I just won't be able to answer. Particularly I'm
looking procedures for selecting waters that meet some specific
(distance) criteria. Not enumerating them, rather identifying them.

Thanks,
Bud