Re: AMBER: Pi-pi interactions

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.chemi.muni.cz>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:09:08 +0200 (MEST)

Aromatic base stacking and similar interactions are very
well described by ESP charges + reasonable vdW term.

Nature of base stacking: Reference quantum-chemical stacking energies in ten unique B-DNA base-pair steps
Author(s): Sponer J, Jurecka P, Marchan I, Luque FJ, Orozco M, Hobza P
Source: CHEMISTRY-A EUROPEAN JOURNAL 12 (10): 2854-2865 MAR 20 2006

Potential energy surface of the cytosine dimer: MP2 complete basis set limit interaction energies, CCSD(T) correction term, and comparison with the AMBER force field
Author(s): Jurecka P, Sponer J, Hobza P
Source: JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY B 108 (17): 5466-5471 APR 29 2004

etc .. etc..

The original reference with the above statement is:

 Nature of nucleic acid-base stacking: Nonempirical ab initio and empirical potential characterization of 10 stacked base dimers. Comparison of stacked and H-bonded base pairs
 Author(s): Sponer J, Leszczynski J, Hobza P
 Source: JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY 100 (13): 5590-5596 MAR 28 1996

 Pi charges were (without much effect) tested in:

 Base stacking in cytosine dimer. A comparison of correlated ab initio calculations with three empirical potential models and density functional theory calculations
 Author(s): Sponer J, Leszczynski J, Hobza P
 Source: JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL CHEMISTRY 17 (7): 841-850 MAY 1996

 Jiri Sponer