Re: AMBER: Rotations about center of mass of an isolated system

From: Jennie Thomas <jenniet.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 16:55:44 -0700

Hi sorry I was unclear. I am running a cluster that was originally
part of a bulk system. Since the waters were originally surrounded
by a bulk solution, I ran the cluster for 50 ps of NPT to try and
generate an initial set of coordinates that were more reasonable.
Then, I ran NVE using TEMPI to assign the initial velocities.

I've also tried just minimizing the initial coordinates and then
running the cluster in NVE and get the same results. There still
appears to be a collective rotation about the center of mass. After
minimization here is the output from the dynamics run (NVE) related
to the COM correction for the first step:
check COM velocity, temp: 0.029286 1.39(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)

Here is the output for the 100th timestep:
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)
check COM velocity, temp: 0.000000 0.00(Removed)

Do you have another recommended way to start running an isolated
water cluster to avoid this problem? Or, is this something I
shouldn't worry about unless it actually results in an unphysical
cluster geometry due to the rotations?

With thanks,
Jennie