Re: AMBER: PMEMD and restart files

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 18:01:38 -0400

Hmmm, highly reliable restart writing must be something added to sander
since amber 6, and I just have not picked up on it. I can certainly improve
the robustness of this for the next release, at least doing whatever sander
does. I presume that this is a really really rare event that someone gets
clobbered by this, though? I would expect that the "vulnerability window"
is pretty small unless you push the rate of restart file writing way up;
pmemd intentionally backs off the default restart write frequency as the
processor count goes up because it is generally inefficient and unnecessary
to be writing this out all the time (so say you only write once every 5000
steps, and lose the last 4999 steps in a crash - big deal, basically).
Anyway, I'll take it under consideration.
Regards - Bob Duke