Re: AMBER: hybrid remd

From: Geoff Wood <geoffrey.wood.epfl.ch>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 23:30:50 +0200

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for clearing up that issue for me. I just wanted to return to
the original problem I was having. For my system, I have a full
periodic set of files and a set of files for the stripped non-
periodic system. I also have a coordinate file for the stripped
system, since I created the parm and the corresponding crd files in
leap.

If I forget about running the hybrid calculation and run a standard
remd simulation on the full system then it runs without problems.
Alternatively, if I run a standard remd run on the reduced system
then it also runs without problems. This suggests that there is no
problems with my crd or parm files in both cases.

However, when I attempt to run the hybrid calculation then I get the
error that I reported. From our correspondence would you be able to
shed light on why this may be happening?

Cheers,

Dr Geoffrey Wood
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
SB - ISIC - LCBC
BCH 4108
CH - 1015 Lausanne

On May 9, 2007, at 11:18 PM, Carlos Simmerling wrote:

> exactly. you need to be careful because they may not actually have
> full solvent shells.
> also you need to make sure you keep enough water to solvate both
> solutes.
>
> On 5/9/07, Geoff Wood <geoffrey.wood.epfl.ch> wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Thankyou for your response to my questions. I am still slightly
> confused (its just not only sander) so I just wanted to clarify
> what you have said. Sander should be able to run the simulation
> with multiple solutes but it is unclear how meaningful the results
> will be?
>
> Dr Geoffrey Wood
> Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
> SB - ISIC - LCBC
> BCH 4108
> CH - 1015 Lausanne
>

> On May 9, 2007, at 10:52 PM, Carlos Simmerling wrote:
>
>> Hi Geoff, yes that's true, I think that it's not so much that
>> sander will get confused as it might
>> cause problems in the centering/imaging and possible inability to
>> get a single set of
>> coordinates with a complete solvent shell around multiple solutes.
>> This isn't a problem in the
>> fully solvated system during MD due to the periodicity, but the
>> hybrid calculation
>> is done without periodicity. As far as ions go, I think one needs
>> to have the same
>> caution as with explicit counterions and any implicit solvent-
>> we're not sure how well
>> they work or what the limitations are, so treat it cautiously and
>> only try it after you're
>> sure you understand what you are doing without them.
>> carlos
>>
>> On 5/9/07, Geoff Wood <geoffrey.wood.epfl.ch> wrote:
>> Hello Asim,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your suggestions they were very helpful.
>> I have made sure that the topology and number of waters correspond
>> to what sander is expecting. That being said, I haven't been able
>> to make much progress. If I understand your email correctly then
>> any attempt to run hybrid remd with counter-ions will cause sander
>> to get confused as to what is solute and solvent? If this is the
>> case, then would the same be true if I decided to run a hybrid
>> remd run with more than one solute (say a dimer of two proteins)?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Dr Geoffrey Wood
>> Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
>> SB - ISIC - LCBC
>> BCH 4108
>> CH - 1015 Lausanne
>>

>> On May 9, 2007, at 9:07 PM, Asim Okur wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Before running Hybrid Solvent REMD you should read the manual and
>>> the
>>> article (Okur, Roe, Cui, Hornak and Simmerling, JCTC, 2007)