RE: AMBER: Compiling parallel Amber9 on Linux cluster

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:27:36 -0700

Dear Jesus,

Your config.h file looks very non-standard to me. Did you modify it beyond
what configure created for you?

For example how did the following end up in the AMBERBUILDFLAGS?

AMBERBUILDFLAGS= -DF90_TIMER -I$(MPI_HOME)/include

Then further down you have what I suspect is causing your problem:
FFLAGS= -w95 -mp1 -O0 -nus $(LOCALFLAGS) $(AMBERBUILDFLAGS)

FOPTFLAGS= -w95 -mp1 -ip -O3 -nus $(LOCALFLAGS) $(AMBERBUILDFLAGS)

I take it you added the "-nus" to get it to link against openmpi. And this
is likely the problem since I suspect the external flush routine should
actually be flush_ and the compiler is stripping this because of "-nus" and
therefore you get an undefined reference.

My advice is to do the following. Download a fresh copy of either openmpi or
mpich2 (I recommend mpich2 since I find the performance is typically
slightly better). Then build this copy of mpi using the intel compiler. Then
make sure MPI_HOME is set to where you installed the copy of mpi and that
your path etc points to the correct copy of mpi.

Then from a freshly cleaned copy of amber 9 do:

cd $AMBERHOME/src/

./configure -openmpi -p4 ifort_ia32

Note replace -openmpi with -mpich2 if you plan to use mpich2

Do not modify the config.h file in anyway, it should not be necessary and
just makes debugging harder.

then

make parallel

Hopefully this time it will work.