Re: AMBER: using glycam04 parameters

From: <kkirschn.hamilton.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:53:37 +0200

Hi Sara,

        Your original question came up a while ago, and was answered on this
listserve:
http://archive.ambermd.org/200703/0084.html

        To answer your latest question, I would advise you doing the
tutorials found on the Amber9 website to gain an understanding of how
Amber works - what files are used, when they are used, and what role
do they play in your job. If you have done the tutorials already,
then read through the leaprc file and see what it tells you. You will
notice that this file references the Glycam prep (filename.prep) file
and the Glycam parameter files (ie. filename.dat), as well as a few
other things.

        Amber is not a "black box." In order to use the program effectively
you have to make sure you understand what the program is doing. After
years of using this program, I am still learning new things almost
every time I use it :) .

Best of luck,
Karl

P.S. In response to Francois' suggestion about borrowing parameters
from another force field. This has to be done with caution. The
recent versions of Glycam (04-06) was developed using unity scaling
factors (ie. SCEE=SCNB=1). This is in contrast to how the other
Amber force fields are developed. Mixing parameters from different
force fields is likely to introduce artifacts into the calculations,
whose severity is not known. Ideally, one might benchmark the
"frankensteined" force field on a small test set of compounds, much
like is done during force field development. This can be time
consuming and doing so could be weighed with how "important" that
particular parameter might be in your simulation.