Re: AMBER: read the data

From: Esther Brugger <esther_brugger.yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:40:45 -0800 (PST)

Now, I successfully do this: mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/external
 but I still cannot open the external drive, and is it possible to find this drive in the terminal?
 Thanks for your help!

David LeBard <david.lebard.asu.edu> wrote: Hi Ester,

I found I had the same problem once, so I made sure to write down how I got things working. The problem may be that you dont have the proper kernel modules loaded to handle large disks, if so this will help.

First, depending no how your system is setup, you may need to change to root before mounting:

   Mount a really large usb disk drive in linux:
          $> modprobe usb-ohci
          $> modprobe usb-storage
           $> mount /dev/sda1 /mount/point

Also, I know that Fedora started using a somewhat strange naming convention in the /dev directory (at least I noticed with with FC6), so you may need to play around to see if sda1 is the one you will need.

Best of luck,
David LeBard
Arizona State University

On 2/15/07, Esther Brugger <esther_brugger.yahoo.com > wrote:Dear all,

 I met a problem about the computer. I saved my previous AMBER results in an external hard drive. Now I am using another PC to deal with the data in the Fedora Core4 Linux system. But I found I couldn't mount this external drive under this system. Is there somebody know how I can read these files??
 Thanks a lot for your any help!

Esther B.

Need Mail bonding?

Esther B.