RE: AMBER: Membrane Simulation: NPT Issues

From: Akshay Patny <akshay17.olemiss.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:54:02 -0600

Dear Dr. Case

I am using a pre equilibrated DMPC bilayer from Dr. Phil Biggin's group in
Oxford.
Since I am removing a lot of lipids after inserting my protein, so I guess
you are right, I might have to equilibrate it more to adhere to lipid
parameters.

I haven't tried but will not try the image command in ptraj, thanks for that
suggestion, I had it in mind but it got slipped.

My pressure-time graph for 100 ps of NPT showed majority of the pressures in
-ve values ranging from 0 to -250 or so and very few values in +ve.

As you mentioned 100ps is a very small simulation for such a huge system
(with 62,000 atoms). So, I guess I have to equilibrate the system more, may
be on an order of few more hundreds of picoseconds before which the pressure
can be seen to be stabalized around 1 atm.

I do want to make sure, however, the following two points: >>>>>>>>>>>>

1. Since I am simulating a membrane protein, and my BOX is RECTILINEAR (as
mentioned in OUT file), I considered using ntp = 2 which is anisotropic
pressure scaling (Amber 8 manual says that this option can be used for
membrane proteins)? I want to confirm if it makes sense or shall I use ntp =
1?

2. In addition, I used taup = 2.0. In the mannual it says that deafult value
is 1.0 but higher values might be necessary if trajectories are
unstable. What should be the reasonable value of this parameter to be used
in membrane protein simulation?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Best Regards
Akshay

Akshay Patny
PhD Candidate (5th Yr.), Computational Chemistry
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, School of Pharmacy
The University of Mississippi
805 College Hill Rd, # 9, Oxford, MS 38655
E-mail: akshay17.olemiss.edu
Phone (O): (662)-915-1286,(M): (662)-801-5496