Re: AMBER: hi

From: Ilyas Yildirim <yildirim.pas.rochester.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:14:11 -0500 (EST)

Dear Anju,

I think you are not familiar with unix system. It will be better if you
get a unix book and try to understand the logic of it (I know, when I
first started using SUSE Linux, it was pretty different. You expect it
to look like XP, but it is not. Once you get used to it, you wont go back
to XP, though. :)).

First thing about your question, did u install the AMBER package without
error? If yes, did you do the 'test' part of the installation? If you did
everything till this point, and did not get any error messages, I would
guess that you need to initialize the necessary libraries, /bin points to
your shell. Which shell are you using? Just as an example, I am using the
tcsh and in my .tcshrc file (under your $HOME directory), I defined the
following variables:

# .tcshrc

setenv PATH "/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:${PATH}:./"
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib

# AMBER 9 stuff
setenv AMBERHOME ~/amber9
setenv PATH "${AMBERHOME}/exe:${PATH}"

# MPICH - Parallel Communication
setenv MPICH_HOME ~/mpich
setenv MPI_HOME $MPICH_HOME
setenv PATH "${MPICH_HOME}/bin:${PATH}"
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH "${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:${MPICH_HOME}/lib"

# Intel Fortran Compiler 9.0
source ~/intel/cc/9.0/bin/iccvars.csh
source ~/intel/fc/9.0/bin/ifortvars.csh

Depending on which shell you are using (bash/c-shell/etc.), you need to
define the variables necessary for the AMBER programs. DO NOT copy/paste
the above example, because I am sure your system is different. Find where
amber9 is installed in the system, and define the AMBERHOME variable.
Then, find where mpich/mpi is installed, and define this in your shell
script. Finally, find where intel fortran compiler is installed and define
this variable. What the above script does is, whenever you login to your
account, these variables will be defined instantly. Remember, when you
installed the amber 9 suite, you had to define AMBERHOME (setenv AMBERHOME
/usr/local/amber9 - in tcsh/csh).

Hope this can help you a little bit. Good luck.

--
  Ilyas Yildirim
  - Department of Chemisty       -				-