Re: AMBER: Positive binding free energy!

From: David Cerutti <dcerutti.mccammon.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:40:35 -0800 (PST)

It's perfectly possible that you get a positive binding free energy from
MM-PBSA analysis. It's even possible to obtain more negative binding free
energies from a three-trajectory approach (simulate A, simulate B,
simulate complex AB) than from a one-trajectory approach (see Gohlke and
Case, J. Comp. Chem. 25.2:238-250, page 246 center left hand column).

The MM-PBSA estimator is very imprecise and, perhaps unfortunately, gives
results to within 5kcal/mol of the correct binding energy about 30-40% of
the time. What this can translate into is investigators doing one study
(as you've probably seen, they're a fair bit of work) and publishing a
successful result or declining to submit a negative result. We tried
running a series of mutations from the same protein system, starting from
known (perhaps more importantly *different*) crystal structures for almost
all of our simulations, and obtained a 30% success rate, no correlation in
the answers we got, and unsatisfactory convergence even after 1500
snapshots over 30ns of simulation on each system.

It's a good exercise for teaching molecular dynamics and some aspects of
the solvation problem, but without a significant enhancement (which may in
fact exist) it's no magic bullet.

Dave