Re: AMBER: Protonation of Aspartate

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 12:17:11 -0500

sai vikram wrote:
> i want to protonate the inner oxygen(OD1) of aspartate.
> can anybody tell me?
> i know about ASH( amber atom type for protonated aspartate) but that
> protonate the outer oxygen(OD2) plz reply soon
>
> thanks in advance

well, this is a question that I will try very hard to answer nicely.
What is the difference between an inner and outer H ?
OD1 and OD2 are JUST names !

you can switch those names in your pdb and then you get a proton in the
right place, you can wait until the dynamics flips them, or many other ways.
Basically, there is NO difference between them except the name !

There IS a difference between syn and anti protonation but that is an
issue of the coordinates and not the residue definition.

--
                            Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
                              Associate Professor