RE: AMBER: force fields

From: Yong Duan <duan.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 22:24:01 -0800

There are two classes of force field parameters in amber, the "standard"
force fields for nucleic acids and amino acids (proteins) and the general
force field for (general) organic compounds. The difference between these
two classes of force fields is that the "standard" force fields have been
"carefully" tuned specifically for nucleic acids and peptides and the
general ff tries to cover a wide range of chemical compounds. I'd suggest
you start from either of these two. In you case, you may want to start from
the "general force field". Check the "antechamber" manual for detail and if
you have further questions please let us know. If your tests show that the
parameters need further improvement, you can always improve later.

Developing ff requires fairly elaborate calculations and is generally suited
for people with considerable experience, patience and persistence (i.e.,
stubbornness :) ). If you are relatively new to modeling, it may take some
time to get it done right. Instructions over email are not sufficient.

yong