Re: AMBER: Potential Energy Calculation

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.csb.sunysb.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 07:32:35 -0500

I strongly recommend against using igb=1 for peptide simulations
unless you are very familiar with its weaknesses. Along with articles
by other labs, we have published two articles this year in J. Chem.
Theory & Comput
showing that igb=1 has strong biases for both salt bridges and
specific protein backbone conformations. igb=5 is much better in
both respects.
carlos

Investigation of Salt Bridge Stability in a Generalized Born Solvent Model
Geney, R.; Layten, M.; Gomperts, R.; Hornak, V.; Simmerling, C.
J. Chem. Theory and Comput.; (Article); 2006; 2(1); 115-127.

Improved Efficiency of Replica Exchange Simulations through Use of a
Hybrid Explicit/Implicit Solvation Model
Okur, A.; Wickstrom, L.; Layten, M.; Geney, R.; Song, K.; Hornak, V.;
Simmerling, C.
J. Chem. Theory and Comput.; (Article); 2006; 2(2); 420-433.

Carlos L. Simmerling, Ph.D.
Associate Professor Phone: (631) 632-1336
Center for Structural Biology Fax: (631) 632-1555
CMM Bldg, Room G80
Stony Brook University E-mail: carlos.simmerling.stonybrook.edu
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5115 Web: http://comp.chem.sunysb.edu