Re: AMBER: For different ligand conformation

From: David Mobley <dmobley.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:29:40 -0700

Pravas,

You may need multiple starting structures. Depending on how different
the conformations are, interconversion times can be very long (on a
system I study, I've found timescales in excess of 5 ns for a rotation
of an aromatic ring by 60^o, and never (>>5ns) seen flip of a phenyl
ring around its axis of symmetry. MD tends not to work very well at
sampling such things in tight binding sites because energy barriers
are high.

Replica exchange may help somewhat, or you can just keep multiple
docking poses that are significantly different and use these for
starting orientations (let me know if you want a preprint of a paper
where I do this sort of thing for binding free energy calculations; it
should be in J Chem Phys in the next few weeks).

Thanks,
David