Re: AMBER: Failure of iwrap in PMEMD

From: Myunggi Yi <myunggi.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:24:34 -0400

Dear Dr. Duke,

As you see, my system is solvated DMPC bilayers with a drug molecule.
I did exactly same simulation with sander, and I have some experience also.
I'm sorry for not sending you my trajectory.
The file is big. I couldn't attach it.

If you run with PMEMD with the restart file and input (iwrap=1) file
(I did with IBM SP4 with 8cpu's),
you will see some water molecules out of the unit cell (about after 500ps).
Compare with the sander (iwrap=1) result.
I know I see some part of the lipid chain outside the box, but not
whole lesidue.
However, I saw several water molecules (one lesidue) outside the box.
I have never seen like this before using sander.

I will try to send my trajectory to you later.

Thank you and have a nice day.

On 7/20/06, Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Myunggi -
> Okay, I have looked at this. Your system has got several thousand waters
> with several thousand residues of some sort, looks like roughly 13C
> aliphatic, with several oxygens, all individual molecules, in a band in the
> middle of the simulation cell. In a sense there is no solute; just a couple
> of different solvents with significantly different polar character. I noted
> 1 other small molecule in there somewhere. The restart file looks "in the
> box" to me looking at vmd, and it is a 50 psec snapshot I think. Now, for a
> molecule to be wrapped by the wrapping routine, it's geometric center has to
> go outside the box. This means for the aliphatic stuff, you will see half
> chains waving around outside the box. I don't know where the actual box
> boundaries are, but generally the edges look more dilute because you are not
> looking through as much solvent. So I did two 100 psec runs with pmemd 8,
> one with iwrap off, and one with iwrap on. I took 50 trajectory snapshots
> over the 100 psec. What I see when iwrap is off is that the water does
> diffuse out, but the hydrocarbon stuff does not; the visual effect is of a
> dogbone where the ends are growing, if you know what I mean. With iwrap on,
> what I see is all the molecules retained in the simulation cell, though the
> long carbon chains are more visible for the molecules that are less than
> half "out of the box". Now, if it takes a longer simulation, fine, but why
> don't you send me the mdcrd you have rather than me doing a 0.5 nsec run
> just to reproduce this. Looking at the code, I don't see how there would be
> a problem, but this simulation is not the usual case, so maybe something
> else strange is going on. When you say that you have not seen problems with
> sander, have you run this exact system with sander? My bet is sander would
> do the same thing, since the code is pretty much the same, but I don't yet
> see a problem with pmemd.
> Regards - Bob Duke

Best wishes,
MYUNGGI YI