AMBER: saltcon variable

From: Stefano Federico Massimiliano Pieraccini (Stefano.Pieraccini) <Stefano.Pieraccini.unimi.it>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:00:01 +0200

Dear all,

I am using Amber 9 to simulate a big dimeric protein which is highly charged (-41 in total). Bacause of the dimension of the system I am trying the implicit solven model GBSA. I found that the default salt concentration (saltcon) for Debye-Hukel screening is 0. I wonder if some salt effect modeling could be useful in treating such a charged system and if it could help to better simulate a water environment . If yes, what could be a reasonable salt concentration to use in the simulation? I found in some works on DNA that a 0.1 M value was used.

Thank you in advance

Stefano Pieraccini