Re: AMBER: charge constraints in resp

From: Kenley Barrett <kenley.barrett.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:46:49 -0600

Dear Ilyas,

Thank you very much for your reply. I've attached the pdb file of my
structure. It's a methylated histidine with blocking groups added in order
to simulate the environment of a protein.

I agree that restraining atoms 1-20 to charge 0 when everything but the
hydrogens is frozen seems nonsensical. I made this choice because I've been
trying to duplicate the charge fitting procedure of Duan et al. 2003 (so
that my library file will be compatible with the 2003 force field). In their
article they state that in the second fitting "the charges of the terminal
blocking groups and those of heavy atoms were fixed". Assuming that "heavy
atoms" meant everything but hydrogen, I ran a fitting according to this
description. But my initial attempt resulted in a charge of about .12 on the
non-blocking-group atoms, which is problematic because these atoms need to
have a charge of 0 in order to make a usable library file. So a colleague
advised me to do the same procedure, except adding a constraint that the
non-blocking-group atoms had to add up to 0.

I am very confused at this point about how to accurately duplicate the Duan
et al. method while obtaining a 0 charge on non-blocking-group atoms. I'm
not sure I understand your advice that I should add the constraint in the
first fit and not the second one--wouldn't that allow the charges to move
away from a state in which they add up to 0? And regarding your advice that
I should not freeze the carbon atoms, I am just concerned that that would
not agree with the resp fitting used for the 2003 force field. Does anyone
have any experience doing resp fitting when trying to create library files
using the 2003 methods? Would it be okay to just use the resp fitting
procedure automatically created by respgen (which differs from what is
described in the Duan et al. article)?

Please let me know any suggestions that you have. I'm very grateful for your
thoughts.

Kenley