Re: AMBER: is there any relationship between RMSD and B-factor?

From: Andy Purkiss <a.purkiss.mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:19:06 +0000

Dear haixiao,

The B-factor is a single number generated from the fluctuations of the
atoms in all the frames, whereas the rmsd only compares two structures.

If you want to properly compare the rmsd of the structures with the
B-factors, you need to calculate the rmsd of each set of coordinates of
the trajectory and look at their mean and standard deviation.

Is your second figure the rmsd between the start and end structures? Or
is it the mean of the rmsd for all the frames used to calculate the
B-factor? If the first, then you should calculate the mean and standard
deviation of the whole rmsd during the whole simulation and see if the
two sets of data overlap.

I also think that the differences are small. A 0.4-0.5Angstrom
difference in RMS for the residues is not likely to be very significant.

Don't forget that flexibility and stability are not the same thing in a
protein. Many protein have flexible loops, but are stable overall.

Andy

--
Cat, n.: Lapwarmer with built-in buzzer.