Re: AMBER: Ligand charge

From: David Mobley <dmobley.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:43:54 -0800

Ligand partial charges will almost certainly significantly affect the
orientation of a ligand in a binding site. In fact, the longer you run MD,
the more significant the results can be. If your simulation is really short,
the ligand will stay almost in the same orientation in which it starts out.
On long timescales, it has time to change orientations significantly and the
charges can have more effect.

If you are trying to identify the ligand bound orientation this may not be
the best way to do it. In my experience it can take 1 ns or more for ligands
to change orientations in some binding sites, meaning that even if you start
the ligand in the wrong orientation it may not find the correct one within 1
ns.

Aside from the fact that partial charges will make a difference in the
orientation, you *have* to have ligand partial charges to be able to run MD,
unless you assume it's uncharged and the only thing that matters is sterics,
which is a rather strange thing to do.

Since you're at UCSF, too, you could come by and we could talk about this
sometime. I'm in Genentech Hall in the Dill lab area; my desk is across from
N474E.

David Mobley