Re: AMBER: amber file formats.

From: Shishir <shishirk.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:07:16 +0530

Dear David,
   Thanks for your reply. Here are some more questions:

- what is the unit of force in Amber (say as it is stored in force arrays
used in code)? is it pN? if we take Kcal/mole, Angs to be our units
then 1Kcal/mole/Angs ~ 69.5 pN / species? (there may be a conversion
factor for reduced units).

- what is the ordering of connectivity and hierarchy fields in .lib files.
(I guess this doesn't matter and this order should most probably be
inherited from the .pdb spec. but it doesnot match).

and .lib files seem to have a subset of information from .top/.crd and
not different one - if you know every detail on how to build a system
(a .top file) then you have information about the components the system
uses (a .lib file). .lib is probably used only because it's simpler, smaller,
legacy - all three of these can be argued against. (btw, I am not
convinced of your analogy here, pdf was never designed to be
modifiable - it preserves author's intentions, machine dependent
things. I would like .top to be compared to tex files. further if pdf is
lossless then Adobe must be having programs to decode pdfs and
people have use for it).

- about the documentation of the code itself. is there something like this
open to public? (there must be something for developers, as such a code
is hard to modify without documentation). at least a dictionary of variable
names and their intended usage will be very helpful.

thankyou very much,
Shishir.