AMBER: GNU Autotool integration for Amber8!

From: mk mk <mk1g6g.yahoo.com.cn>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:06:11 +0800 (CST)

Dear Amber members:

I plan to start a project to enable GNU autotool
capability for Amber8. As a demostration, I have
ported the serial version of Amber8 (with minor hacks
only) to FreeBSD and Win32 + MingGW. I chose to skip
the known gettimeofday bugs. It will be resloved in
the future.

The required versions of autotool are Autoconf2.59 and
Automake1.8 (other versions have not been tested, but
may work if not too old.). Since there are some
nonstandard features in old makefiles, the final
installation layout has not been fully settled down
yet.

For parallel version, it will not too difficult to do.
In theory, we can tweak the configuration files to
follow the old makefile rules after all. :-)

However, there still a lot of works, espeically
feature test macros, need to do. Mind you, the ported
Amber is only a demostration toy now.

Any comments are welcome.

qxb