RE: AMBER: vdw for terminal phosphate

From: Rhoad, Jonathan S. <rhoadj.missouri.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:21:49 -0500

Bill,

I assert that the terminal phosphate (monoester) oxygen vdw radius would
be larger than the internal (diester) as there is more charge localized
on the oxygen atoms (net -2 over 3 oxygen, versus -1 over 2 oxygens).
The RESP charge for the terminal phosphates is a smidge over -1 (-1.01
to -1.07) versus -0.77 for the internal phosphate of DNA/RNA. Would
this additional charge density not mean a larger vdw radius?

Additionally, the phosphate had too strong of an attraction for multiple
types of atoms (ARG protons and MG2+), so I would want to have
parameters that affect its interaction with all atom types.

Thanks,
Jonathan Rhoad
123 Chemistry
Life Sciences Post-doctoral Fellow