RE: AMBER: problems with running sander in parallel on linux

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:50:53 -0800

Hi Piotr,

> I compiled mpi sander on my linux box using ifort intel compiler
> (under most recent mpi/mpd).
> When I tried to run it (in this case on 2 processors) I got
> the following error message:
>
> sander: error while loading shared libraries: libimf.so:
> sander: error while loading shared libraries: libimf.so:

What mpi wrapper are you using? It is possible that the mpirun command is
running rsh to your machine and this is not sourcing your login scripts
correctly. Hence it doesn't pick up the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and so can't find
the libraries. See if you can find out how your mpirun is spawning processes
and in particular find out what shell it is running. The default shell may
be different to "your" shell.

The best solution to this is to compile everything static. You can compile a
static version of lam by adding the flag -all-static to the configure
script. Then recompile lam and also compile amber statically. You can also
compile mpich statically but I can't remember the options for this.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/
|\oss Walker

| Department of Molecular Biology TPC15 |
| The Scripps Research Institute |
| Tel:- +1 858 784 8889 | EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
| http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/ | PGP Key available on request |