Re: AMBER: carnal - water-mediated HBond

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.chemi.muni.cz>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:52:55 +0100 (MET)

I think they mean water-bridged H-bonds.

One need to analyze explicit hydration; i.e.,
monitor exact positions of individual water molecules
with respect to solute.
Most water bridges will have enhanced water binding
residency times and close-to 100% occupancies (in a given
substate).
These interactions are quite variable and may range
from waters that are bound (DNA and RNA) for around 500ps up
to waters bound permanently on a scale of 20+ ns simulations.
May involve two (plain w-bridges), three or even four
solute atoms (pockets) and (simultaneously) more than one water molecule.
The water molecules may have a rather rigid orientation as well
as there are hydration pockets with "swinging" waters.

I think there is no way to identify water bridges based
solely on solute-solute atom distances.

Reblova et al. Long-residency hydration, cation binding and dynamics
of Loop E/Helix IV rRNA - L25 protein complex. Biophys. J. 87, 2004, 3397-3412

Spackova et al. Molecular dynamics simulations and
thermodynamics analysis of DNA - drug complexes.
Minor groove binding between 4',6-diamidino-2-phenylindole (DAPI)
and DNA duplexes in solution.
Journal of the American Chemical Society 125, 2003, 1759-1769.

best wishes Jiri

Jiri Sponer
Institute of Biophysics
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Kralovopolska 135
CZ-61265 Brno
Czech Republic
e-mail: sponer.ncbr.chemi.muni.cz
fax: 420 5412 12179
phone: 420 5415 17133
http://www.ibp.cz/labs/LSDNA/
http://ncbr.chemi.muni.cz
Senior Editor - Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics,
Adenine Press, NY
Senior Wellcome Trust International Research Fellow for Biomedical Science