Re: AMBER: Floating Exception and installation on Digital Unix.

From: M. L. Dodson <bdodson.scms.utmb.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:46:45 -0600

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 07:18 am, Robert Duke wrote:
> Anshul -
> I would expect that it IS possible, and probably not that hard, to get amber
> installed with g77 on a digital/compaq/hp unix alpha box, but it may require
> some tweaking of the machine files, and there may be some system call issues
> (probably not, but it is a possibility). Unfortunately, I really can't help
> you with this one; you need support from someone else who has done either
> this specific system or who uses g77 on other systems and has access to this
> sort of system. I know folks love things like g77 because it is relatively
> portable and free; I personally don't use it at all because it is slow, and
> I do a lot of work trying to reduce the time it takes to do good quality MD
> simulations. SO it is time for someone else to respond!
> Regards - Bob

Well, I have no experience with g77 on an alpha not running either
linux or FreeBSD, but I would say the success may well depend on
the version of gcc/g77 installed. You should probably use the
very latest versions of the compilers, but, with alpha seemingly
on a path towad rapid extinction, there may not have been much
recent work by the gcc/g77 people on code generation for alphas.
It is pretty well known that older versions of gcc/g77 produced
very poor quality and very buggy code for the alpha. The Compaq
compilers will, almost for sure, do a lot better. I don't
remember the details, but I'm pretty sure you used to be able to
get linux version of the Compaq compilers for free if the use was
not for commercial purposes.

I gave up on my dual processor alpha when I realized that a $700
single processor Athlon box (that should give an indication of
when I sent it to the warehouse) would run rings around the alpha
using the gcc/g77 compilers.

Bud Dodson

M. L. Dodson                                bdodson.scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-747-8608