Re: AMBER: Ptraj data

From: Elijah Gregory <ejgregory.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:04:45 -0600

If during your simulation you only dumped output to a file every 50ps
then you will not be able to get RMSd information every 1ps. How can
the program guess what the atomic positions are each picosecond if you
only save these positions every 50 picoseconds? In other words, the
program only has information about the atomic positions at 50ps,
100ps, 150ps...etc. and it cannot guess what happened in between these
times.

If you use the 'time 50' option in the RMSd command then you will get
RMSd values at 0ps, 2500ps, 5000ps, 7500ps... etc. But unless you
saved your data during the simulation each and every picosecond then
there is no way you can get the RMSd values at these times unless you
do some interpolation which will almost certainly fail since the MD
trajectories are not exactly "well-behaved" functions.

~Elijah Gregory