AMBER: Problem: Installing Amber8 on PC with Windows XP

From: Nhat-hang Duong <nhduong.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:38:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Does anybody have problem installing Amber8 on a PC (Pentium IV) with
Windows XP?

I have installed:

1) Cygwin (downloaded from http://cygwin.com)
2) Amber8
3) Absoft Complier

When I followed the instruction to install Amber 8, here is what I get:

"$ ./configure -p4 absoft

Warning: the AMBERHOME environment variable is not defined!
         It usualy should be set to the path of Amber's top level
directory.
Caution: Setting AMBERHOME to /home/Hang/amber8 !

Setting up Amber configuration file for architecture: absoft
Using parallel communications library: none

The configuration file, config.h, was successfully created."

Additionally, when I try to compile using "make serial," I get the
following error "make: command not found." This seems like the same
problem that fangyu liang had, but I didn't find a solution posted.
Could you help? Any hint is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
--Hang
From: David A. Case <case___AT__scripps.edu>
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 02:01:57 BST

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004, fangyu liang wrote:

> Does any one have the Config file that I can use to install Amber 8 on PC?
> Here is the situation:
>
> I tried to install Amber 8 on my PC. My PC is Intel Pentium 4 with Window
> XP as operating system.
> I installed Fortran PowerStation 4.0 and it is Fortran 90 compiler by
> Microsoft Developer Studio 1994-95. I installed the latest cygwin from
> www.cygwin.com
>
> I did the following at cygwin:
>
> $./configure -p4

This should have given you an error message, since you did not specify an
architecture/compiler. Try typing "./configure -help" for more
information.

> then,
>
> $make serial
>
> An error message showed up, saying 'make' is not a command.

"make" is a cygwin command, but is only present if you install the proper
parts of cygwin (including the development tools).

Overall, I suspect that you are going down a path that is not very likely
to succeed. You first need to become comfortable with cygwin as an
environment. Second, I have grave doubts that a 1994-95 compiler will
work:
Windows 95 was the first 32-bit Microsoft operating system; a compiler
that
pre-dates that is likely to target just the 16-bit DOS environment. If
your
compiler does happen to be a 32-bit compiler, you might try carefully
trying
to compile just that sander program, certainly being willing to do some
debugging.

.....good luck...dac