Re: AMBER: Config file for installing Amber 8 on PC with Windows XP

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:01:57 -0700

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004, fangyu liang wrote:

> Does any one have the Config file that I can use to install Amber 8 on PC?
> Here is the situation:
>
> I tried to install Amber 8 on my PC. My PC is Intel Pentium 4 with Window
> XP as operating system.
> I installed Fortran PowerStation 4.0 and it is Fortran 90 compiler by
> Microsoft Developer Studio 1994-95. I installed the latest cygwin from
> www.cygwin.com
>
> I did the following at cygwin:
>
> $./configure -p4

This should have given you an error message, since you did not specify an
architecture/compiler. Try typing "./configure -help" for more information.

> then,
>
> $make serial
>
> An error message showed up, saying 'make' is not a command.

"make" is a cygwin command, but is only present if you install the proper
parts of cygwin (including the development tools).

Overall, I suspect that you are going down a path that is not very likely
to succeed. You first need to become comfortable with cygwin as an
environment. Second, I have grave doubts that a 1994-95 compiler will work:
Windows 95 was the first 32-bit Microsoft operating system; a compiler that
pre-dates that is likely to target just the 16-bit DOS environment. If your
compiler does happen to be a 32-bit compiler, you might try carefully trying
to compile just that sander program, certainly being willing to do some
debugging.

....good luck...dac