RE: AMBER: LINMIN failure

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:10:23 -0700

Dear Mineyuki,

If the output file you attached to the email below is the one from when you
set the NCYC parameter then it is definitely NOT fine. Just look at the
first couple of steps:

   NSTEP ENERGY RMS GMAX NAME NUMBER
      1 NAN NAN 6.4076E+04 C 6998

 BOND = 4558117.6476 ANGLE = 1310.8486 DIHED =
3688.2075
 VDWAALS = nan EEL = nan HBOND =
0.0000
 1-4 VDW = 2028.5963 1-4 EEL = 22119.3049 RESTRAINT =
0.0000

   NSTEP ENERGY RMS GMAX NAME NUMBER
      5 NAN NAN 0.0000E+00 N 1

 BOND = nan ANGLE = nan DIHED =
nan
 VDWAALS = -1315.8256 EEL = nan HBOND =
0.0000
 1-4 VDW = nan 1-4 EEL = nan RESTRAINT =
nan
 EAMBER = nan

All of those "nan"'s stand for Not a Number, this is typically what happens
when you divide by zero! Thus something is very very wrong with your initial
structure. Somewhere you are getting a divide by zero, probably a distance
between two atoms, that is leading to you having infinite energy. It doesn't
matter how long you minimise this for you are not going to fix it. As soon
as you switch to molecular dynamics your system is going to blow up. I
suggest you take a good look at your starting structure.

All the best
Ross

/\
\/
|\oss Walker

| Department of Molecular Biology TPC15 |
| The Scripps Research Institute |
| Tel:- +1 858 784 8889 |
| EMail:- ross.rosswalker.co.uk |
| http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/ | PGP Key available on request |