AMBER: parallel installation problem

From: Oliver Hucke <ohucke.u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:17:08 -0700

Dear amber users & developers,

I am trying to install amber8 on a linux cluster using the intel
fortran90 compiler, version 8.
I can install the serial version, which passes (almost) all tests, i.e.
the compiler works.

When I try to configure the parallel installation with

   ./configure -mpich ifort

I get the error message

../configure: line1: [path_to_mpich]/bin/mpif90: No such file ...

"make parallel" leads to numerous messages like

   ": undefined reference to 'mpi_...'

and finally to an interruption of the installation procedure.

The problem seems to be that during the installation of mpich for some
reason the fortran support gets turned off. Execution of the configure
script for mpich (1.2.5.2) leads to the messages:

   checking that Fortran programs can link with needed C functions... no
   Warning: Fortran programs cannot be linked with the C libraries
   Fortran support being turned off

The environment variables for the c- and fortran compilers are set and
recognized by the configure script.

How can I get the fortran part of mpich properly installed?

Thanks very much,
Oliver

Oliver Hucke, Dr.
                               Health Sciences Building - K418C
University of Washington      1959 NE Pacific St.
Dept. of Biochemistry         phone: (206) 685 7046
Box 357742                    fax  : (206) 685 7002
Seattle, WA 98195-7742        email: ohucke.u.washington.edu