Re: AMBER: understanding SANDER source code

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:47:40 -0800

Hi,

I am not aware of any flow charts, data flow diagrams, module hierarchies,
etc. One could use tracing to follow the execution of some representative
simulations. A simple tracing module is included in Amber 8.
A debugger could also be used.

However in the big picture one wonders
why you trying to understand sander source code line by line ?
While it is said that programming something, like teaching something,
can lead to a thorough understanding of that thing, it is not necessarily
a productive use of one's time. Certainly reading the literature
should come first.

Sander is really a collection of programs; it has many features,
optimized code sections, and quirks. Tinker is perhaps a better
program to study for pedagogical purposes.

Scott Brozell