AMBER: NMODE for protein via MM-PBSA-cntd

From: ML <lepsik.uochb.cas.cz>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:09:57 +0100

Dear Holger and MM-PBSA/nmode team,
I am trying to calculate normal modes using nmode via mm-pbsa for a
3200-atom protein. With the help from the AMBER e-mail archive, I was
able to compile AMBER7 on 64-bit AMD Opterons for this system.

To hold down the memory needed for nonbond pairlist, I adjusted
mm_pbsa.pl script to read in cutoff for nonbonded interactions. Sander
minimization goes fine until gradient of 10E-4 (or even 10E-5) but nmode
starts with a 10* or so worse gradient and fails! (How do sander and
nmode calculate rms gradients? Do they differ in that? Why?)

I went into modyfying mm_pbsa.pl again to allow for Newton-Raphson
minimizations in nmode. Now it works, I just wonder how long it
takes.......

Is there any other way around to avoid Newton-Raphson? An idea is to
minimize by sander until 10E-6 or -7 but I am not sure if it'd help.

Best regards,

   Martin Lepsik