Re: AMBER: MSMS

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:56:32 -0800

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003, Salma B. Rafi wrote:

> I am trying to use MSMS to calculate the solvent accessible surface area
> of a BIG protein. In the output, there are numbers corresponding to
> reent, toric, contact, SES and SAS. I would like to know which term
> refers to the solvent accessible surface area :"Contact" or the "SAS"???

First, questions about MSMS should really be directed to its author, Michel
Sanner, <sanner.scripps.edu>; msms is not part of the amber suite. Michel's
web page may help: http://www.scripps.edu/~sanner/.

Second, be sure you understand the various types of "surface area" one might
be interested in. "SAS" stands for solvent-accessible surface", and its
area is probably what you want. But this is different than the area of the
so-called "molecular" (or "Connolly") surface.

...hope this helps...dac

David A. Case                     |  e-mail:      case.scripps.edu