Re: AMBER: Mg2+ parameters for RNA usage

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.chemi.muni.cz>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:32:57 +0100 (MET)

Hi Pascal,

    this is interesting, I did not know about
    that we have multiple parameter sets.

    We possibly could somehow compare them or exchange
    experience.
    We did a comparison of "AMBER" Mg2+ vs. QM though
    not yet an in-depth one (essentially upon a referee request).
    Gresh N. et al, J. Phys. Chem. B 107, 2003, 8669
    For those interested there are additional QM studies
    cited there that show the missing terms.
    (The total amount of non-additivity in the first
    ligand shell of Mg2+ is on a huge scale of 100 kcal/mol,
    although fortunately there is a substantial degree
    of compensation of errors when moving from
    QM to nonpolarisable MM).

    Another big problem for Mg2+ simulations is how much
    can one rely on the initial X-ray Mg2+ positions? I think
    Pascal addressed this issue few times before.
    I found an amazing RNA X-ray paper Ennifar et al. Nucl. Acids Res.
    31, 2003, 2671. This analysis goes far beyond
    what is usual in X-ray studies, to my opinion.

    Best wishes, Jiri

Jiri Sponer
Institute of Biophysics
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Kralovopolska 135
CZ-61265 Brno
Czech Republic
e-mail: sponer.ncbr.chemi.muni.cz
fax: 420 5412 12179
phone: 420 5415 17133
http://www.ibp.cz/labs/LSDNA/
Senior Wellcome Trust International Research Fellow for Biomedical Science