Re: AMBER: Mg2+ parameters for RNA usage

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.chemi.muni.cz>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:21:24 +0100 (MET)

Dear Vlad:
We use for RNA I guess radius 0.7926, well depth 0.8947,
and I think these are taken from Ross&Hardin JACS 1994
paper. See for example Reblova et al Biophys. J. 84, 2003,
3564-3582. There are other papers with Mg2+, Tsui&Case JPC B
105, 11314, Hermann et al Eur. Biophys. J. 27, 1998, 153 etc etc.
    Nevertheless, whatever the parameters are, the force
    field remains far from reality due to a neglect of
    major polarization and charge transfer effects.
    Sampling of Mg hexahydrates is very poor at the ns scale.
    So, unless really specifically needed it is rather better to avoid
    any divalent ions in a simulation.

Best wishes, Jiri

Jiri Sponer
Institute of Biophysics
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Kralovopolska 135
CZ-61265 Brno
Czech Republic
e-mail: sponer.ncbr.chemi.muni.cz
fax: 420 5412 12179
phone: 420 5415 17133
http://www.ibp.cz/labs/LSDNA/
Senior Wellcome Trust International Research Fellow for Biomedical Science