Re: AMBER: Compiling AMBER, ie, number of atoms limit

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:30:02 -0700

Hello,

There may be several lurking problems with large systems.
In Amber 7 the NATOM format is I6 (it's I5 in Amber 6),
suggesting a limit of 999999. But in recent threads
Bob Duke and Tom Darden indicated that troubles may occur
at substantially fewer atoms, perhaps > 333333.
You can find those Reflectors via google searches:
more than 100,000 atoms site:amber.ch.ic.ac.uk
atom number mismatch in coord and topology site:amber.ch.ic.ac.uk

On the other hand Amber 7 is known to work with,
see benchmarks/rt_polymerase:
     NATOM = 141154 NRES = 42245
 Number of triangulated 3-point waters found: 41189

Scott