Re: 64-bit Compilation SUN's forte compiler

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell_at_scripps.edu>
Date: Mon 28 Oct 2002 16:00:08 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Generally, a 64 bit addressable executable is only recommended for
applications that require the extra addressing space because a
32 bit addressable executable will have superior performance by a
couple of percent.
For reference, I do not believe that the large benchmark rt_polymerase
requires 64 bits, but I haven't verifyed this recently.

I have not built Amber on a Sun platform, but have built lots of
software on Suns. The default address size is platform dependent
and -fast will very probably give the best choice.
Regarding performance, the default optimization level included by the
-fast option is O4; hence, one might alter Machine.sparc like this
setenv L3 "f90 -c -fast -O3 "
->
setenv L3 "f90 -c -fast "

Also one could try -fast -O5. Naturally the usual caveats concerning
excessive optimizations apply.

Scott Brozell, Ph.D. | e-mail: sbrozell_at_scripps.edu
Dept. of Molecular Biology, TPC15 | fax: +1-858-784-8896
The Scripps Research Institute | phone: +1-858-784-8754
10550 N. Torrey Pines Rd. | home page:
La Jolla CA 92037 USA | http://www.scripps.edu/~sbrozell