Re: difference 94 99 force field

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling_at_sunysb.edu>
Date: Tue 27 Aug 2002 10:34:50 -0400

The article on parm99 (Wang, Cieplak and Kollman, J Comp Chem 2000)
the changes that were made. Most were for organic functional groups,
but some of these changes are applied to protein side chains.
The protein phi/psi backbone parameters were also changed. You can't
really read any importance into the change you see in absolute dihedral
energy; what matters is the relative energies between conformations
using the same force field. In other words, the zero of energy doesn't
matter. I don't think anyone has published a study comparing the relative
behavior of protein/RNA complexes with the two parameter sets.
carlos

Carlos L. Simmerling, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor Phone: (631) 632-1336
Center for Structural Biology Fax: (631) 632-1555
Stony Brook University Web: http://comp.chem.sunysb.edu/carlos
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5115 E-mail: carlos.simmerling_at_stonybrook.edu