mpich, I/O, Master node, filesystem

From: Jianhui Wu <wujih_at_BRI.NRC.CA>
Date: Thu 8 Aug 2002 00:24:13 -0400

Dear Amber users,

In the amber manual regarding the MPI version, it says that
"The code is pure SPMD (single program multiple data) using a
master/slave, replicated data model. Basically, the master node does all
of the initial set-up and performs all the I/O". A computer guy asked me
whether the I/O is done by the master node (in a batch mode) or via
the shell node (in an interactive mode). I do not know the answer. Could
some expert in the field give me some explanation? Secondly, do MPICH
requires a shared filesystem (instead of distributed filesystem)?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jian Hui Wu