Re: Linux-cluster performance

From: Jarrod Smith <jsmith_at_structbio.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Wed 15 Aug 2001 12:23:09 -0500 (CDT)

Florian,

Although expensive relative to the cluster itself, high-performance
interconnects such as Myrinet or Dolphin/Scali will help the situation
considerably with PME calculations.

In our experience, it is the latency of the ethernet network that kills
the parallel scalability, not the bandwidth. So unfortunately in our
experience less expensive "high-performance" networks (i.e. gigabit
ethernet) don't buy you much. Perhaps others on the list have had better
luck with this type of solution?

We've had relatively good success with Myrinet on an Intel cluster with
jobs up to 16-way parallel. With 16-way jobs you can expect something
like 9-10x speedup with Myrinet.

The cost for a solution like this is about $1500 per node. It is a major
reason that I prefer to use 2-way SMP nodes in our clusters where possible
since it makes the cost more like $800 per processor.

YMMV.

Sincerely,

Jarrod A. Smith
Research Asst. Professor, Biochemistry
Asst. Director, Center for Structural Biology
Computation and Molecular Graphics
Vanderbilt University