Re: [AMBER] Using ntp=1 for membrane embedded Protein-Ligand System with ifsc=1 Option

From: Dickson, Callum via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2024 15:56:34 +0000

Hi, this came up recently on the mailing list. Here was my response-

My typical workflow for free energy on membrane proteins with TI would be
? Equilibrate the system (receptor+single ligand) under NPT with semiisotropic barostat (ntp=3) for >100 ns
? Prepare/dock remaining ligand set using the equilibrated system
? Run TI windows using ntp=1. Although it would be preferable to keep ntp=3, this is not currently possible and since TI windows are typically short (on the order of 5 ns) you should not expect large changes in the membrane during these windows

If you run membrane proteins under ntp=1 for hundreds of nanoseconds, you may see the membrane contracting along either the X- or Y- axis (such that it thins in one dimension and expands in the other). This is the motivation for the semiisotropic barostat, but short 5-10 ns TI windows are unlikely to encounter this.

Best,
Callum