Re: [AMBER] LJ Energy Mismatch

From: Carlos Simmerling via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:37:38 -0400

Will, if you're only moving the H3, then the vdw changes should just relate
to pairs involving the H3.
the MM force field doesn't include pairs for which the H3 is involved in a
bond or angle term with the other atom.
also, the "1-4" terms (3 bonds away) are scaled.
There are probably better ways to get the energy data for those structures,
such as using cpptraj. I also would consider that even 1 step of min will
change the structure when it is so highly strained.
and overall... I'm not sure that bonds the resulting info will be helpful.
the harmonic MM bond won't really match up to real QM data in any case.
are you trying to use the energies that you get, or just doing this to make
sure you understand the force field? My opinion would be that the
energies you get from bond stretching won't be useful. normally the
reference length and the force constant come from sources other than this
(like lengths from crystal structures, force constants from vibrational
frequencies).