Re: [AMBER] [Sender Not Verified] Re: AMBER error vlimit exceed for step

From: He, Amy via AMBER <amber.ambermd.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:59:30 +0000

Hi Vero,

Thank you for the detailed response!

 first the minimization and then the equilibration step

Usually there’s one or more steps between the minimization and the restraint-free NPT equilibration. The purpose is gradually heating (to bring up the temperature of) the system and pressing (to achieve a relatively realistic density). During these steps, you can apply restraints on the solute or important parts of the system to prevent drastic changes of structure.

I asked similar questions on the list server before, and other experts told me to be gentle to the structures when performing alchemical simulations. If you can get regular MD simulations running for your system, likely you have these steps before the final production run. I designed my TI protocol based on the regular MD protocol I have been using for my system, and it worked for majority of the lambda states.

Hope this helps!

Bests,
Amy